Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Sachin Tendulkar retires from Test cricket

Sachin Tendulkar retires from Test cricket
Sachin Tendulkar retires from Test cricket
In a shocking revelation that has shook the cricketing fraternity, the ‘Little Master’ has decided to call it quits in the Test format of the game. Following his dropping for the second Test against South Africa with fielding maestro Mohammad Kaif taking his place– Sachin Tendulkar announced his retirement early this morning.
The BCCI had initially mentioned a groin-injury, which had supposedly left Tendulkar on the sidelines; yet after today’s announcement, one wonders if this was their veiled attempt to push India’s greatest batsman into what seems to be a very early retirement…
“After years of giving India my 100%, I have decided that I can no longer compete in the Test format of the game. The formula of a youth dominated ODI – T20 squad has reaped many rewards, I’m inclined to believe that this should translate into our Test squad,” Tendulkar said as he opened his Test-retirement announcement.
“The BCCI have mentioned some sort of injury – but I’d like to make it clear that I’m still fully fit… so I’m somewhat baffled by their statement. I have talked with Mr. Dilip Vengsarkar and he has made it clear – the selectors new stance is to give young cricketers a chance to play Test cricket, and there was probably some sort of miscommunication with the BCCI,” Tendulkar went on to say with a hint of sarcasm.
“After Australia I was under the impression that the BCCI knew what I was capable of, particularly in the Test format of the game… We may not have taken the series, but I believe thanks to our experience we were able to give the Aussies a run for their money,” said the man who single handedly won the recent CB tri-series for India after scoring a massive century in the first final and then following up with a 90 in the second against World Champs Australia.

“Now as we chase the number one spot in Test standings – the selectors and Board are under the impression that youth is the winning formula for Tests. Since I have had my fair share of Test cricket, I’m willing to take a side step to give India’s youth a chance. I have given my life to cricket – maybe it’s time I gave a little more attention to my family.” Sachin closed.
Sachin Tendulkar, quite possibly cricket’s most supreme batsman, didn’t seem to be in the best of moods during the conference – and once his short and curt speech ended, he vehemently refused to take any questions from the few journalists who were present. He quickly put on his shades and surrounded by personnel dashed to his Mercedes in which his wife Dr. Anjali was waiting.

Thanks for coming on this April fools day and reading :)
http://sports.in.msn.com/cricket/stories/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1308508



No comments: